"Having a broad base of specialties within one firm and a point person who really knows us, our business and our goals has proven to be invaluable for over 20 years now."
Theodore B. Goodnow, CEO
Woodmeister Master Builders, Inc.
Our Practice Areas
Our Tax Group provides clients with sophisticated federal, state and local tax advice designed to promote their business goals while mitigating their tax burden. We advise new ventures on choice of entity, executive compensation arrangements and the tax implications of traditional and alternative financing arrangements. We advise established businesses on how to structure a variety of business transactions in a tax-efficient manner, ranging from advice on how to structure the sale of the business to advice on how to structure mergers and acquisitions, debt and equity financing transactions and the funding and structure of buy-sell agreements. We work closely with our Estate Planning Group to advise business clients on succession planning and individual clients on strategies for passing their wealth to the next generation while minimizing wealth-transfer taxes. We provide our clients with practical advice regarding the tax implications associated with long and short-term business strategies.
We also have extensive experience forming new non-profit organizations. We regularly advise a number of established tax-exempt organizations on the tax aspects of proposed transactions, including unrelated business ventures, tax-exempt financings, mergers and acquisitions among non-profit entities and intermediate sanction issues associated with various compensation arrangements.
We aggressively represent individual and corporate clients in tax controversies with the IRS, the Massachusetts Department of Revenue and the U.S. Department of Justice, Tax Division. We have experience defending clients in matters pending before administrative forums such as the Appellate Tax Board, as well as in state and federal courts. We are experienced trial attorneys with the ability to take matters to trial if and when necessary. Our experience also provides our clients with the ability to negotiate successful resolutions short of trial in many circumstances.
- We have successfully negotiated settlements with the IRS, the Massachusetts Department of Revenue and the U.S. Department of Justice.
- We have represented clients in actions pending in U.S. District Court and the Massachusetts Appellate Tax Board.
- Representation has included a range of issues including non-payment and non-filing, failure to file tax withholding information, business valuation and residency issues.
- We have helped our clients successfully avoid foreclosure and asset forfeiture.
- We have successfully negotiated payment plans on behalf of clients with both state and federal authorities.