For decades, Mirick O’Connell has helped manufacturers manage legal issues quickly and efficiently so that they can focus on their core business. From corporate formation to mergers and acquisitions, from labor and employment matters to “bet the company” litigation, we have New England manufacturers covered. Our Business Group provides outside general counsel to numerous manufacturers for whom we handle licensing and development agreements; distribution, reseller and supply agreements; non-disclosure agreements; and employee benefits and stock incentive plans.
Manufacturers know that things do not always go according to plan. Our litigators have a proven track record of successfully resolving disputes through negotiation, alternative dispute resolution and, when necessary, aggressive action in the courtroom. We regularly handle business disputes with suppliers, customers, shareholders and employees, as well as intellectual property matters, including patent and trade secrets disputes.
- Successfully represented a French multi-national conglomerate and the parent of a major U.S. abrasives and ceramics manufacturer on a number of acquisitions and divestitures
- Represented a German conglomerate involved in the manufacture and distribution of fasteners in multi-state acquisitions of closely-held businesses
- Represented a housewares manufacturer in connection with a joint venture with a publicly-held multi-national corporation
- Represented a publicly-held manufacturer of precision tooling in the acquisition of the assets of a California-based company specializing in precision measuring technologies
- Represented a manufacturing company in connection with the acquisition and financing of a new manufacturing facility
- Represented the majority stockholders of a family-owned manufacturing business in buying out minority stockholders
- Successfully defended a $1 million claim for breach of contract against a manufacturer of computer hardware by serving a motion for summary judgment that relied almost exclusively on the plaintiff’s own deposition testimony
- Negotiated a settlement of complex litigation among shareholders of two closely-held international plastics companies; coordinated transfer of stock, implementation of a security agreement and indemnification for international financing obligations
- Obtained a summary judgment in favor of our aerospace manufacturing client in a race discrimination claim in the U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts; the plaintiff's appeal was dismissed by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit