Ping is a partner as well as the Chair of the Intellectual Property Group in the Firm. He has extensive experience in a broad spectrum of IP practice areas, including patent, trademark, copyright, trade secret, IP due diligence and transaction, licensing and technology transfer, and IP litigation.
Ping counsels businesses of all sizes on IP strategy, IP portfolio management, patent prosecution and post-grant proceedings before USPTO, trademark prosecution and opposition/cancellation, copyright registration, IP enforcement and litigation, freedom-to-operate analysis, trade secret investigation, employee non-compete and confidentiality agreements, and patent valuation, monetization and licensing. Ping’s IP experience extends beyond the U.S. and into foreign jurisdictions, such as Europe and Asia.
Before his legal career, Ping worked as a software engineer with Polycom, Inc., where he designed and developed audio/video conference systems and applications. Prior to joining the Firm, Ping was an attorney at the Boston offices of WilmerHale and Mintz Levin.
Ping is fluent in Chinese (Mandarin).
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. Federal Court, District of Massachusetts
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Suffolk University Law School JD, summa cum laude
- Fudan University BS, with honors
- Dartmouth College MS
- Counsel a software as a service (SaaS) company on its overall IP strategy to protect its innovative technology using a combination of various protection vehicles, including utility patent, design patent, trademark, trade dress, copyright, and trade secret.
- Counsel a software and service company in the healthcare industry in a complex software and technology transfer license arrangement that involves a large international corporation and a foreign government entity.
- Build and manage a patent portfolio in the U.S. and worldwide for a high tech company in the nanotechnology field.
- Advise a technology startup company on IP ownership and handle a license dispute between a university, inventors, and the company.
- Build and manage a trademark portfolio in the U.S. and abroad for a consumer electronics company.
- Build and manage a patent portfolio in the U.S. and abroad for a consumer electronics company.
- Advise non-profit organizations pro bono on trademark strategy and applications.
- Represented a publishing company defending a copyright infringement lawsuit in Federal Court.
- Represented an Internet seller defending a trademark infringement lawsuit involving certificate marks in Federal Court and secured a favorable settlement that dismissed the lawsuit and allowed for the continued sale of the goods.
- Represented a brand owner and Internet seller defending a trademark infringement lawsuit filed by a litigious trademark owner in Federal Court and secured a favorable settlement that left the brand intact and allowed for the resumed sale of the goods.
- Advised an importer of goods on an investigation by U.S. Customs and Border Protection that alleged a trademark infringement.
- Represented a well-known consumer electronics company in a patent ownership and contract dispute with a supplier in China.
- Counseled a manufacturing company on a comprehensive trademark and name clearance search and analysis to support its renaming and rebranding campaign after a merger.
- Advised a high-tech startup company in technology license and joint research and facilitated a development agreement with a large foreign technology company.
- Advised an online media and game company on issues of trademark and copyright fair use and the right of publicity.
- Built and managed a patent portfolio in the U.S. and worldwide for a medical device company.
- Advised an online company on domain name dispute, trademark consent agreement, cybersquatting, and IP due diligence during acquisition.
- Advised an online seller on trademark dispute with the brand owner and the online platform.
- Represented patent owners in patent monetization and enforcement programs and litigations in Federal District Courts and the International Trade Commission (ITC).
- Defended a software company in a patent infringement lawsuit filed by its competitor in the speech recognition field.
- Defended a software company in a patent infringement lawsuit filed by its competitor in the trading technology field.
- Represented a medical device company in a patent infringement lawsuit asserted against its competitor.
- Built and managed a patent portfolio in the U.S. for a cloud computing company in the U.K.
- Ping is a guest lecturer on IP topics at universities.
- "10 Things I Know About Protecting Business IP," Worcester Business Journal (September 3, 2018)
- "Recent IP Case Analysis, IP Trends and Hot Topics in the U.S. " - Shanghai Bar Association, Shanghai, China (April 2018)
- One on One: Ping Hu, chair of Mirick O’Connell’s Intellectual Property Group, Worcester Telegram & Gazette (April 2018)
- Quoted in “Chinese steal its thunder: AMSC CEO calls guilty verdict a ‘great victory,’” Worcester Telegram & Gazette (April 2018)
- Quoted in “Google Could Owe Oracle $8.8 Billion in Android Fight,” Bloomberg (March 2018)
- "What are your New Year's IP Resolutions?," Mirick O'Connell e-alert (January 8, 2018)
- USPTO "Forecloses" On Mortgage Processing Patent Under Alice, IP Frontline (March 8, 2016)
- "Recent Trends in U.S. Patent Litigation" - Shanghai Bar Association, Shanghai, China (June 2011)
- "U.S. Patent Litigation 101" - Shanghai Bar Association, Shanghai, China (July 2010)
Professional / Community Affiliations
- American Bar Association
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Boston Bar Association
- Boston Patent Law Association