Paul W. Carey
Paul is a partner in the firm's Creditors' Rights, Bankruptcy and Reorganization Group where he concentrates his practice on creditors' rights, bankruptcy and business reorganization matters.
Paul has extensive experience with bankruptcy and insolvency proceedings and litigation, representing creditors, debtors, creditors' committees, trustees and receivers. He represents borrowers, lenders and other creditors in out-of-court loan restructurings,receiverships, assignments for the benefit of creditors, and the purchase and sale of distressed businesses. Before joining the firm in 1995, Paul served as counsel to RECOLL Management Corporation in Boston, where he concentrated his practice on bankruptcy, workout and commercial litigation.
Paul has received an AV® Preeminent Peer Review Rating by Martindale-Hubbell, the highest rating available for legal ability and professional ethics. Paul has been named a Massachusetts "Super Lawyer" by Boston magazine and Law & Politics every year since 2005 and was named one of the Top 100 Super Lawyers in Massachusetts in 2018.
Bar & Court Admissions
- Suffolk University Law School JD, cum laude (1994)
- Fairfield University BA (1990)
- Represented landlords in several national retail bankruptcies including Linens 'N Things, Sharper Image, Ritz Camera and Aeropostale, Gymboree and Toys "R" Us.
- Represented the senior lender in the Chapter 11 bankruptcy of a regional construction company
- Represented a secured lenders in the bankruptcy of the nation's largest guarantor of private student loans
- Co-chair, New England Bankruptcy Law Conference, Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, 2014-2019
- Panelist, New England Bankruptcy Law Conference, Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, 2013
- Panelist, "Current Issues in Commercial Leasing," American Bankruptcy Institute Northeast Conference (2008)
- "Bankruptcy Court Determines When a Loan Is Not a Loan," Banker & Tradesman(co-author) (February 10, 2003)
- "Massachusetts Homestead Act Requires Remodeling," Banker & Tradesman (December 9, 2002)
- Panelist, "The New Article 9 of the UCC," Boston Bar Association (2001)
- "Homestead Act Protection Leaves Debtors, Creditors in Limbo," Banker & Tradesman (March 23, 1998)
- Panelist, "Seminole and Eleventh Amendment Immunity," American Bankruptcy Institute Northeast Conference (1997)
- Pro Bono Publico Award, Massachusetts Bankruptcy Court, Central Division, 2014
Professional / Community Affiliations
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- Worcester County Bar Association
- Boston Bar Association
- Legal Assistance Corporation of Central Massachusetts, Board of Directors (2007-2013)
- Town of Upton Planning Board
- Town of Upton Community Presentation Committee