Jeffrey L. Donaldson
Jeff practices in the areas of corporate finance, mergers and acquisitions, venture capital investments, securities regulation, and general corporate and business matters. He serves as outside general counsel to a number of companies in the biotech, communications, distribution, energy, manufacturing, medical device, and retail industries. Jeff has more than 25 years of experience in negotiating private placements of debt and equity securities by companies and investments on behalf of venture capital funds, including multiple rounds of preferred stock, subordinated debt, and warrants. He was the lead attorney in five initial public offerings.
Jeff has received an AV Preeminent® Peer Review from Martindale-Hubbell, the highest peer rating available for legal ability and professional ethics. Jeff was selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© 2020 in the field of Corporate Law. First listed in 2013.
Bar & Court Admissions
- Duke University School of Law JD (1981)
- Niagara County Community College AA, with high distinction (1976)
- State University College of New York at Buffalo BA, summa cum laude (1978)
- Served as lead coordinating attorney in a transaction involving a six-company acquisition that closed simultaneously with a private placement of high-yield bonds to institutional investors. That transaction was followed by a three-company acquisition that closed simultaneously with a public offering.
- Represented an early-stage hydrogen fuel cell company in negotiating a joint development agreement with a publicly-held fuel cell company and in its subsequent acquisition by the same public company
- Represented a local independent film producer in a private placement of securities to finance a feature film shot in Central Massachusetts
- Represented a designer of outdoor apparel and gear in a reorganization and multiple rounds of financing with venture capital firms
- Represented a protein sensor company developing diagnostic sensors and therapeutics in multiple rounds of private placements with venture capital firms
- Experienced in corporate reorganizations and recapitalizations
- Experienced in negotiating shareholder disputes and buyouts
- Jeff has lectured at Anna Maria College, Clark University Graduate School of Management, Clark University Small Business Development Center, and InnerCity Entrepreneurs in Worcester. He created and hosted The Business Beat, a weekly radio show on WICN featuring profiles of individuals and companies in Worcester County.
Professional / Community Affiliations
- Clark University Small Business Development Center
- Venture Forum
- The Annulments (an all-lawyer rock band that plays for bar association and charitable fundraising events)
- American Bar Association
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- Worcester County Bar Association