Emily P. Beekman
Emily is an associate with the Trusts and Estates Group. The focus of her practice is estate planning, estate and trust administration, and tax planning. Emily assists clients and generations of families regarding estate planning, estate and gift taxes, probate law, probate avoidance, estate and trust administration, and philanthropy. Emily also specializes in estate planning for disabled persons, guardianship and conservatorship matter, and long-term-care planning and other elder law matters. She also concentrates her practice in the area of estate and trust administration, advising personal representatives, trustees and other fiduciaries on the legal aspects of administering complex estates and trusts. This representation also includes the preparation and filing of gift and estate tax returns on the state and federal levels.
In 2021, Emily was selected by her peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America: Ones to Watch© 2022 in the fields of Trusts and Estates and Litigation - Trusts and Estates. First listed in 2020. Emily was recently accepted into the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel (ACTEC) New England Fellows Institute.
Prior to joining Mirick O’Connell, Emily was an associate with Casner & Edwards in Boston, MA.
Bar & Court Admissions
- Rhode Island
- Syracuse University College of Law JD, Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of International Law and Commerce (2013)
- Colby College BA, cum laude (2008)
- “Five Reasons You Should Have an Updated Will – and Estate Plan,” MarketWatch, April 24, 2019 (co-author)
- “The Special Needs Trust Fairness Act Becomes Law, Finally Allowing Individuals with Disabilities to Independently Establish Their Own Special Needs Trust,” American Bar Association E-Report, March 2017
Professional / Community Affiliations
- American Bar Association
- Boston Trusts & Estates Consortium, Women's Forum Committee
- Boston Estate Planning Council
- Veterans Legal Services, Volunteer Lawyer
- Boston Bar Association
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- Rhode Island Bar Association
- The Colby Club of Boston, member