Edward C. Bassett, Jr.
In 2000, Ted was named by Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly as one of their top ten lawyers.
Ted authored Chapter 19, "An Introduction to Interstate Trucking Litigation in Massachusetts," in the MCLE Book, "Massachusetts Motor Vehicle Torts, LIability and Litigation."________________________________________________
Ted authored "How to Bulletproof Your Trucking Expert From Daubert Challenges," featured in The Lawyer's Log Book.
|Ted authored the article, "The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration's Safety and Pre-Employment Screening Programs" in "The Lawyer's Log Book" inaugural issue.
Ted is a Founding Board Member of The Association of Plaintiff Interstate Trucking Lawyers of America (APITLA) and in 2016 he was installed as the President of APITLA.
Ted has been a member of The Million Dollar Advocates Forum for more than 25 years.
Boston magazine and Law & Politics chose Ted as a Massachusetts "Super Lawyer" in 2004 - 2009 and 2011 - 2016 and as a New England "Super Lawyer" in 2007 - 2009.
In 2018, Ted was selected as one of the top 100 trial attorneys in Massachusetts by the National Trial Lawyers.
In 2018, Ted received a Lifetime Achievement Award from "America's Top 100 Attorneys."
In 2018, Ted received the Top 10 Attorney Award from the National Academy of Personal Injury Attorneys.
In 2018, Ted was selected as a Fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America, which is a trial lawyers honorary society composed of less than one-half of one percent of American Lawyers.
Since 2000, Ted has received the "AV" rating which is the "Highest Possilbe Peer Review Rating in
Legal Ability and Ethical Standard."
In 2018, Ted received a Top 10 Trucking Trial Lawyers award from "The National Trial Lawyers."
In 2016, Ted was installed as the President of the Association of Plaintiff Interstate Trucking Lawyers of America (APITLA) and received the Thurgood Marshall Fighting for Justice Award at the 2016 APITLA Summit.
Ted understands that being the victim in a personal injury case is a highly traumatic experience. It can become even worse if you are not represented by attorneys who have the experience to advocate for your rights and the best possible recovery you are entitled to under the law.
Ted handles all types of personal injury and product liability cases, including complex trial matters involving wrongful death and permanent disability. Ted regularly receives referrals from attorneys and professionals in Massachusetts and other states because of his reputation for handling car accident cases and interstate trucking accident cases in a professional and efficient manner.
If a case is accepted, the client and the referring attorney have Ted’s commitment that he will expend the necessary time and financial resources, as well as employ in-house staff and specially retained outside experts, to resolve the claim. For each case, the firm assembles the team of professionals best suited to pursue the maximum recovery for the client.
Because of Mirick O’Connell’s reputation in the community and in other states, the firm has developed strong relationships with many other professionals, including actuaries, doctors, accountants, economists, bankers, vocational experts, accident reconstruction experts, and engineers. These professionals provide pre-trial opinions and testify at trial. Their expert reports and testimony have resulted in many favorable settlements.
Because of the size of some settlements, Mirick O'Connell's Personal Injury attorneys work closely with our Trusts and Estates Practice Group, as well as with tax experts, actuaries and nationally-known consultants, in the preparation of structured settlements. This type of settlement can provide clients with funds to cover a minor's education expenses as well as lifetime income.
Bar & Court Admissions
- Boston College Law School, JD
- Boston College, BA, magna cum laude
- Obtained a $22.65 million judgment in a drunk driving case - this is reported to be the largest award ever for a Worcester County personal injury case.
- Served as co-counsel for Drs. Sunil and Deborah Eappen in the well-publicized wrongful death case of Matthew Eappen v. Louise Woodard (British Nanny)
- Volunteered legal services to obtain a $2.15 million award for a young boy who lost his father on September 11 onboard Flight 11
- "April is Distracted Driving Awareness Month," On Air with Mirick O’Connell legal podcast (April 2022)
- Quoted in "Accountability remains elusive for veterans who died at Holyoke Soldiers' Home," The Boston Globe, December 1, 2021
- Quoted in “Case Against ‘Careless’ Smoker Survives Summary Judgment,” Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly, May 20, 2021
- “Take Me Out to the Ball Game… and Take Away My Right to a Jury Trial,” Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly, April 26, 2021
- “Whiplash: It’s No Laughing Matter,” On Air with Mirick O’Connell legal podcast (January 2021)
- “Whiplash: It Is Only Funny Until It Happens to You,” Mirick O’Connell’s Massachusetts Injury Lawyer Blog, November 6, 2020
- “The Importance of Having Enough Automobile Insurance Coverage,” On Air with Mirick O’Connell legal podcast (October 22, 2020)
- Quoted in "How effective are liability waivers in the age of the novel coronavirus?," American Bar Association Journal, July 2, 2020
- Quoted in “State to send another $130 million in emergency aid to long-term care sites,” The Boston Globe, April 27, 2020
- "COVID-19 Nursing Home Funding,” On Air with Mirick O’Connell legal podcast (April 24, 2020)
- “COVID-19 Nursing Home Funding,” Mirick O’Connell’s Massachusetts Injury Lawyer Blog, April 24, 202
- "Quoted in "Appeals Court revives case against Cape Cod skydiving company," Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly, July 12, 2018
- “The U.S. Department of Transportation is accepting comments on a proposal requiring speed limiters on certain trucks and buses,” Mirick O’Connell Client Alert, November 2016
- "Understanding the New "Hours of Service" Regulations" (Winter 2014)
- "Trucking Regulations and Trucking Company Liability, The National Business Institute
- "Litigating Spinal Cord Injuries," The Lawyer's Log Book, Volume 3
- "What to do When You are Injured by a Drunk Driver," The Lawyer's Log Book, Volume 2
- "Underinsurance Coverage - Purchase the Maximum Coverage Available," The Lawyer's Log Book, Volume 1
- Quoted in "Lawyers Predict Expansion of Social Host Liability Law," Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly, (February 29, 2012)
- "Legislative Update - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations, Including Hours of Service," The Association of Plaintiff Interstate Trucking Lawyers of America National Conference, September 2009
- Ted has been invited to speak in Las Vegas, Atlanta, St. Louis, Boston and Chicago on the preparation and trial of personal injury cases and interstate trucking cases. He has been a featured speaker on a number of occasions on trial topics and on brain injury cases of the West LegalEdcenter©. These national web seminars are broadcast throughout the United States.
- Ted's high-profile cases have been featured in many news publications, including the National Law Journal, Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly, the Boston Globe, the Boston Herald and the Worcester Telegram & Gazette. He has also been interviewed or featured on television news programs in New England and Canada
APITLA NATIONAL INTERSTATE TRUCKING SUMMIT
Ted Bassett presented Massachusetts Congressman James McGovern with the "Promoting Highway Safety Through Legislation” award for his work as a champion of safe highways at the APITLA National Interstate Trucking Summit on September 16, 2011.
Professional / Community Affiliations
- Massachusetts Academy of Trial Attorneys, Board of Governors
- Association of Plaintiff Interstate Trucking Lawyers of America, president
- Northborough and Southborough Education Foundation, former president
- Southborough Zoning Board of Appeals, former chair
- Anna Maria College, Board of Trustees, former member of the Executive Committee
Ted Bassett represented a young woman hit by a drunk driver who was on his way home from a local bar. The young girl sustained permanent brain damage with memory loss and cognitive deficits. The defendant was sentenced to eight to ten years in jail. Ted sued the drunk driver and the six bars where he drank before the accident. Ted obtained a judgment totaling $22.65 million—which was reported to be the largest personal injury judgment in Worcester County, Massachusetts.
Premises Liability Accident Results in $2,200,000 Settlement
Ted Bassett successfully prosecuted a case against a landlord who negligently failed to inspect the sliding glass doors in a second floor apartment.
Victim of Drunk Driving Accident Awarded $2,000,000
Ted Bassett also obtained a judgment in the Worcester Superior Court for $2,049,867.00 for the victim of a drunk driving accident.
Interstate Truck Accident Results in $2,000,000 Settlement
Ted Bassett secured a $2.1 million settlement for a client injured when a Canadian Trucking Company failed to properly secure a cargo of lumber. It was later discovered that the truck driver was fatigued and had falsified his logbook.
Motorcycle Driver Recovers $900,000
Ted Bassett settled a personal injury case for a motorcycle driver even though the police reconstruction team concluded that the motorcycle had crossed over the center line. Ted assembled an accident reconstruction team which proved that other vehicle crossed the center line.
Electrocution Case Results in $895,000 Settlement
Although plaintiff was injured in a foreign country, Ted Bassett successfully negotiated a settlement in the Federal District Court of Massachusetts for the injured plaintiff.
Amusement Park Injury Results in $600,000 Settlement
Ted Bassett has been an advocate for safety regulations at amusement parks. Quoted in the Boston Herald, I don’t think anybody can give a rational reason why amusement parks should be exempt from regulations when the safety of our children is at stake.
Cable Car Accident in Canada Results in Confidential Settlement
Ted Bassett secured confidential settlements for three clients injured in a freak cable car accident in Canada. The case was featured on Canadian National Television.
Defective Toy Case Results in $270,000 Award
Court approved an award of $270,000 for child who was injured by a dangerous toy which had been the subject of a recall by the Consumer Product Safety Commission.
Confidential Settlement in Louise Woodward Case
Ted Bassett served as co-counsel for Drs. Sunil and Deborah Eappen in the well-publicized wrongful death case of Matthew Eappen v. Louise Woodward (British nanny).