- Suffolk University Law School JD, magna cum laude (2008)
- Haverford College BA, cum laude (2004)
BAR & COURT ADMISSIONS
- U.S. District Court for Massachusetts
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
PROFESSIONAL / COMMUNITY AFFILIATIONS
- American Bar Association: , Health Law Section Web and Technology Committee, chair; Business and Transactions Interest Group, vice-chair; Publications Committee, vice-chair; Health Law Section Social Media Editor
- Worcester County Bar Association
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- Boston Bar Association
- American Health Lawyers Association, Fraud Abuse P.G. Research and Website Committee, lead coordinator; Enforcement Committee, member
- Family Services of Central Massachusetts, former board member
- Tufts University, Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee, member
- Worcester Young Businessmen's Association
- Worcester Institute for Senior Education, class coordinator
Matthew R. Fisher
Matt is an associate with Mirick O'Connell. He is the chair of the firm's Health Law Group and a member of the firm's Business Group. Matt focuses his practice on health law and all areas of corporate transactions.
Matt's health law practice includes advising clients with regulatory, fraud, abuse, and compliance issues. With regard to regulatory matters, Matt advises clients to ensure that contracts, affiliations and coordination agreements and other business arrangements meet both federal and state statutory and regulatory requirements. Matt's regulatory advice focuses on complying with requirements of the Stark Law, Anti-Kickback Statute, fraud and abuse regulations, licensing requirements and HIPAA. Matt also advises clients on compliance policies to develop appropriate monitoring and oversight of operations.
Matt is the chair of the American Bar Association’s Health Law Section's Web and Technology Committee is vice-chair of the Business and Transactions Interest Group and a vice-chair of the Publications Committee, and a Social Media Editor for the section. Matt is a Lead Coordinator for the American Health Lawyers Association Fraud & Abuse Practice Group's and an author of e-mail alerts for the Enforcement Committee in the same Practice Group.
In addition, Matt represents clients in all stages of business transactions, from formation, contract review and preparation, mergers and acquisitions. Matt assists clients of all sizes from small closely held companies to large multinational companies.
Matt was named a Massachusetts "Super Lawyer" by Boston magazine and Law & Politics in 2013. In 2011 and 2012, Matt was named a Massachusetts "Rising Star" by Boston magazine and Law & Politics.
Matt was selected among the 2014 class of the Worcester Business Journal’s 40 Under Forty.
- Advised client on formation and structure of concierge medical practice
- Represented clinic and ambulatory surgery centers in obtaining operational licenses and Determination of Need certificates from the Department of Public Health
- Analyzed billing practices of clinic to determine whether federal billing guidelines were met and advised on response
- Advised client on how to report and return potential overpayments received from billings submitted to federal healthcare programs
- Performed general Stark Law and Anti-Kickback Statute reviews of policies and agreements for physician practice groups and clinics
- Advised physician practice group in structuring ownership, inclusion of non-physician owners, and restructuring
- Matt is the editor of Mirick O’Connell’s Health Law Blog, "The Pulse"
- Matt is a regular contributor to the website, "HITECH Answers"
- “HIPAA Myths: How Much Do You Know? Common Myths Debunked & Explained,” The Compliancy Group, September 2014 (presenter)
- “Marketing Yourself as a Healthcare Attorney,” American Health Lawyers Association Annual Meeting, July 2014 (co-presenter)
- "HIPAA Myths: How Much Do You Know?," Massachusetts Bar Association Central MA Health Care Conference, April 2014 (speaker)
- “Where Everybody Knows Your Name: Guest Chair’s Column,” American Bar Association Health eSource, Volume 10, Number 8, April 2014 (author)
- “Key Reviews from 2014 OIG Work Plan,” American Bar Association Health eSource, Volume 10, Number 8, April 2014 (author)
- “The Real World: Health Law – An Introduction to the Fundamentals of Health Law,” American Bar Association Health Law Section Emerging Issues Conference, February 2014 (panelist)
- "What is... Stark Law?," American Bar Association 2014 (contributing author)
- "HIPAA: An Update - What did the Omnibus Rule Do and Why is Compliance So Important," Mirick O'Connell Health Law Seminar, November 6, 2013 (presenter)
- "The Business of Healthcare Reform - The Affordable Care Act," Worcester Regional Chamber of Commerce Business Expo, October 2, 2013 (presenter)
- "National Health Care Reform," Loman Educational Services, August 23, 2013 (panelist)
- "For Providers of Care, Edge Will Got To Swiftest," Worcester Business Journal, August 19, 2013 (author)
- "Identifying Potential Billing and Coding Issues," Monitor Mondays Webinar, June 10, 2013 (speaker)
- "Regulators Now Driving Mass. Health Reform," Worcester Business Journal, March 4, 2013 (author)
- "3 Ways Stark Law Impacts Your Practice," Medical Office Today, March, 2013 (quoted)
- "Health Costs in Massachusetts are Heading Upward," The Boston Globe, March 2013 (quoted)
- "So You're a Healthcare Attorney, Now What?: The Practical Realities for New Healthcare Attorneys Taught Through Case Studies on Everyday Scenarios," American Bar Association Health Law Section Emerging Issues Conference, February 2013 (co-presenter)
- "Guest Chair's Column on Social Media," American Bar Association Health eSource, Volume 9, Number 5, January 2013 (author)
- "Twitter School," American Health Lawyers Association, October 2012 (presenter)
- "Tables Being Turned on Auditors, HHS' Inspector General Wants to Investigate Audit Contractors," ModernHealth.com, October 2012 (quoted)
- "Specifics of Health Care Reform Still Being Worked Out," Southcoast Business Bulletin, October 2012 (quoted)
- "Healthcare Fraud and Abuse Bootcamp Part V: Compliance and Transactions," American Health Lawyers Association, May 2012 (moderator)
- "Social Media Bootcamp Webinar Series, Level II, Part III: How to Practice Safe and Ethical Social Networking: Be Careful While Friending, Linking and Tweeting Your Way to Success," American Health Lawyers Association, April 2012 (moderator)
- "How to Succeed and Impress in a Health Law Summer Internship and Beyond," American Bar Association Health Law Section, April 2012 (presenter)
- "How Court Ruling on Health Care Might Affect Massachusetts Firms," Worcester Business Journal, April 2012 (author)
- "HEAT Actions Since the Beginning of FY2012," ABA Health eSource, Volume 8, Number 8, April 2012 (author)
- "Social Media Bootcamp Webinar Series, Level I, Part II: How to Use Social Media and Social Networking: Focus on Facebook and LinkedIn," American Health Lawyers Association, January 2012 (presenter)
- "Strategic Planning for Physician Groups," National CPA Health Care Advisors Association, October 2011 (co-presenter)
- "Primer on Federal Fraud and Abuse Laws for Physicians," Massachusetts Medical Society, October 2011 (co-presenter)
- "Navigating the Federal Fraud and Abuse Laws: A Primer on the Stark Law and Anti-kickback Statute," Teleconference, ABA Young Lawyers Division Health Law Committee, May 2011, (moderator)
- "New Health Law Compliance Requirements from the Federal Health Reform Law," American Bar Association Criminal Litigation Journal, Volume 11, Number 1 (2010)
- "Medical Malpractice 101," Teleconference, ABA Young Lawyers Division Health Law Committee, November 2010, (moderator)
- "How to Increase a Judgment with Minimal Work: Use Pre-Judgment Interest," Massachusetts Bar Association Young Lawyers Journal, Issue 10, (2010) (author)